Happy religious or non-religious holidays as needed to all my readers, without whom I'd be writing to nobody.
A while back, when I found the song by the group "Legion of Super-Heroes", I decided to see if I could make an album (or a "See Dee", as kids call it these days) of Legion-related music. Matthew at the Legion Abstract talked about a comic-song mix CD, and Scott at the Legion Clubhouse had a huge list of songs that could fit here, but I wanted my songs to be at least tangentially Legion related (so, for example, I leave out an obvious one, 1975's "Wildfire" by Michael Martin Murphey, a song about a horse).
So here's SQUEE-EEORRRRK!, an album's worth of songs by or about the Legion.
- Legion of Super-Heroes (1967) - The Great Name Dropper
- Scott Walker (1969) - 30th Century Man
- XTC (1986) - That's Really Super, Supergirl (Amazon download)
- Adrian Belew (1987) - Superboy
- Stormwitch (1987) - Emerald Eye (YouTube audio)
- Spin Doctors (1991) - Jimmy Olsen's Blues
- Misinformed Manzerick (1993) - Saturn Girl
- Guided by Voices (1994) - Matter Eater Lad (audio, free download, blog entry)
- Yoyodyne (1996) - The Wedding of Bouncing Boy (audio, free download)
- The Autumn Leaves (1998) - Phantom Girl Blues (Amazon download)
- Kristopher Carter (2006) - Legion of Super Heroes (season 2) theme song
Meanwhile, other 30th/31st century residents have taken up music in the 21st century:
- The Legion of Super-Villains is a punk/hardcore/thrash band in Greenville, NC
- Chameleon Chief is a rapper
- Chemical King is a Japanese pop group
- Dawnstar is a pop band in Budapest, Hungary
- Wildfire is a DJ in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
- Shrinking Violet is an Auckland, NZ band
- The Invisible Kid is an artist in New York