Today is December 23, and you know what that means... it's Festivus time!
Festivus, which originated on an episode of "Seinfeld" in 1997, is a non-denominational holiday celebrated on Dec. 23 (or sometimes earlier, to avoid the Christmas rush). Instead of a tree, a simple unadorned aluminum pole is displayed, in opposition to the highly decorated Christmas trees. Two of the main elements of the holiday that involve people are the annual Airing of Grievances and the Feats of Strength. There are Festivus Miracles too, but they're not officially required.
So to celebrate, here are my list of Legion grievances. Please add your own in the comments, but remember they only can cover calendar year 2009 (so no whining about anything that happened last year). In no particular order:
- The first two are leftover grievances from 2008:
- The Superboy lawsuit is STILL not settled.
- Whatever happened to that Jim Lee/Paul Levitz Legion story that was supposed to come out months ago? Delayed until sometime in 2009, so I've heard, but nothing specific.
- The Legion is reduced to a backup strip for the first time since the early 1970s.
- In the Smallville episode, the Legionnaires saying: "The only way to stop Chloe is to kill her."
- The end of Final Crisis #6 had L1 Brainiac 5 showing the Miracle Machine to Superman. Not only had the Miracle Machine been eaten years before, but this scene was not seen or even referenced in L3W.
- Not only that the Legion v5 book was cancelled, not only that the Final Crisis/L3W story forced Jim Shooter's story to get cut by four issues, but also that Shooter either walked out on the last issue and forced a ghost writer or chose to use a pseudonym to close out the series.
- The latest retelling of the story of how Superman/boy joined the Legion lost the intention of the original story, how Clark Kent had to audition for a spot (even though it was all a joke). Now, they just asked him to join.
- It took 11 months for the 5-issue monthly L3W to come out.
Now to temper the List of Grievances, we also have some Festivus Miracles:
- George Perez. STILL on the Legion, even if L3W is delayed.
- The Legion on Smallville. The Legion. ON LIVE-ACTION TV. By Geoff Johns. And it's one of the highest rated and most-liked episodes of the season.
- Mon-El in a starring role in the Superman titles.
- The return of Adventure Comics, featuring (at least for now) the Legion.
- The return of R.E.B.E.L.S.
- Action figures!
- I hit my 1000th post.
- Paul Levitz will return to be the full-time writer on the Legion. The internet broke in half at the news that he was leaving DC Corporate.
- L3W returning all 3 Legions
The last of the Festivus traditions is the Feats of Strength, in which the guests wrestle with and try to pin the host to the floor. I think I've been doing that all year long with my trivia (see past quizzes here), but here are three bonus questions for you to wrestle with.
- Which Legion-related heroes and villains have been shown on both live-action and animated form?
- Who said this, and what were the circumstances? "Mmm... this is nice! I must kiss her again!!"
- Where did we see the Jaguar Court?