Answers to July's Trivia Quiz #49. I was going to turn the column over to the readers for Quiz #50 but I haven't gotten enough questions yet, so please send them in. I'll save them for #51, I've already got a bunch for the next quiz.
1. Who were Jilly, Helen, Charlie, Sophie, Donna, and Jane?
Jilly Major, Helen Cage, Charlie Woodcock, Sophie Desjardins, Donna Ferri and Jane Washington-Carver were Inferno's mall-rat friends in her mini-series.2. Name the 5 LSH members who held wands in an attempt to attract lightning and revive the dead Lightning Lad.
Superboy, Lightning Lass, Mon-El, Chameleon Boy, and Sun Boy. If you said Saturn Girl, you were wrong, because it was really Proty in disguise.3. Fortress Lad was from Fwang, in the 30th century. When did we see residents of Fwang in the 20th/21st century?
Gerry Jones, who wrote the story introducing Fortress Lad in the Secret Origins of the LSH Clubhouse story, was also the writer of Green Lantern: Mosaic, starring John Stewart on a mosaic-planet composed of cities from many worlds. One such world was Fwang, as seen here in GL: Mosaic #10 (his first and only appearance).
4. Dave Cockrum redesigned a number of Legionnaires' costumes when he was artist. Here's an alphabetical list of those Legionnaires, put them in chronological order of when Cockrum changed their costumes. (Note: in several stories, multiple Legionnaires got new costumes; these 12 Legionnaires got new costumes in a total of 6 different stories.)
- Chameleon Boy
- Colossal Boy
- Duo Damsel
- Element Lad
- Light Lass
- Lightning Lad
- Phantom Girl
- Princess Projectra
- Shadow Lass
- Shrinking Violet
- Star Boy
- Timber Wolf
I guess this was too trivial! Although I should have said that these costumes were either redesigned by Cockrum or first brought into a story by him, I didn't get much luck at an answer. So here's the list:5. What do these five Legionnaires have in common, in this order, that no other Legionnaires have: Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, Brainiac 5, and Dawnstar.
- Duo Damsel, Chameleon Boy, Shrinking Violet, Karate Kid (SBOY 193)
- Phantom Girl, Colossal Boy, Princess Projectra (SBOY 195)
- Lightning Lad, Timber Wolf (SBOY 197)
- Element Lad (SBOY 198)
- Star Boy (SBOY 199)
- Light Lass, Shadow Lass (SBOY 200)
They were the Legionnaires who appeared on the "spotlight" covers on the "Legion of 3 Worlds" miniseries issues 1-5 (in that order).
6. How many Legionnaires (including honorary and reserve but not imaginary stories or Elseworlds) have had their own solo series, miniseries, or one-shot? That is, a book with their name in the title where they were the star, not someone who was in an anthology series or a backup strip.
You guys guessed Superman/Superboy, Supergirl, Superboy II, Mon-El/Valor, Cosmic Boy, Timber Wolf, Karate Kid, Inferno, Impulse, and Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen. But although you differentiated between Superboy Kal-El and Superboy Kon-El, no such distinction was made for pre-Crisis Supergirl and the current version of Supergirl.
7. Which Legionnaire(s) did Wally Wood draw, and where did that appear?
Although the Wood-inked Superboy stories technically fit this criteria, it wasn't what I was looking for. The one I did have in mind was this one, from the 1966 Comic Book Foldees card set. Wood did the art for the whole series:
And when you folded the halves over, you could make "hilarious" pictures like these: