Wednesday, January 04, 2023

Reprint predictions again

In April 2021, I made a bold prediction on what I thought DC was going to reprint in 2022, given that we had just found out that "Before the Darkness" vol 2 was on the schedule. I looked at the tea leaves and made what I thought were good, sound prognostications on what I thought the most likely reprint collections would be given DC's reprinting history of Legion volumes to that point. I figured we were good for any 3 of the 5. 

As it turned out, I only got one out of five right: the second volume of the Five Years Later Omnibus (which I'm still shocked that DC decided to reprint in the first place!). And we did get three, but not the ones I predicted.

🚫1. Bronze Age Omnibus vol 1: reprinting Superboy 172-224, last reprinted 2000-2003 in Archives 10-12; the last Silver Age Omnibus volume came out in 2020
🚫2. The Great Darkness Saga re-release: reprinting LSH v2 284-296, last reprinted 2011, though if this came out I expect it would be at the end of the year since "Before the Darkness vol 2" will come out in Jan 2022
✅3. 5YL Omnibus vol 2: reprinting LSH v4 #40-63, plus the Legionnaires series and half of the Valor run, all of which has never been reprinted; vol 1 came out in 2021
🚫4. Reboot vol 3: reprinting LSH v4 #74-80 and LGS #31-37 plus the Superboy crossover, and continuing the naming for this reprint series as "Legionnaires", all of which has never been reprinted; volume 2 came out in 2018
🚫5. Legion Worlds: issues 1-6 never reprinted, although solicited but cancelled in 2013; last Abnett/Lanning volume 2 came out in 2018


On the other hand, we did get one that I did NOT see coming, the Who's Who Omnibus volume 2 that also reprinted the entire "Who's Who in the LSH" series.


They both have nifty (if reprinted) Sprouse/Story covers, so maybe that's what it takes to get a reprint volume?

And of course, the one we did get that everyone saw coming was "Justice League vs the LSH". (Note that this did not have a Sprouse/Story cover.)


I still stand by my predictions on items 1, 2, 4, and 5 above as what SHOULD come out. But with the new DC management, my Naltorian future-prediction powers have departed and who knows when they'll return.

No comments: