Thursday, July 24, 2008

SDCC08: Thursday (update 1)

Seeing as how I'm at the con and not in front of my computer, I'll find out the information at many of the panels first had, but you guys will have to help out keeping this thing up to date. Please post links to news stories on the web and maybe a news item or two, but don't quote huge chunks of text in the comments. I hope to update this page sometime tonight.

A fairly light start before the madness that is Friday and Saturday.

Thursday 7/24
2:00-3:30 Spotlight on Todd Klein
6:00-7:00 DC Nation

I'll be liveblogging any Legion stuff I overhear at my Legion Omincom Twitter feeds.

Update: never made it to the DC Nation panel. I was in the overflow line and they never got to me.

Via Newsarama:

... Johns discussion Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds, featuring George Perez drawing "every Legion member ever."

... In a question that would not make sense to anyone outside of DC fans, "how many Cosmic Boys will we see after Legion of Three Worlds?" DiDio: "Read the book."


Via CBR:
..."If you heard news Paul Levitz and I were returning to the Legion, how would you respond?" Giffen asked, and the crowd was shocked into applause. "Just wondering."

Apparently there was something at the Superman: Man of Tomorrow panel. Via CBR:
...Can you use the Superboy name? Johns: "Superboy-Prime's a different character, we're okay with him. We can't really talk about it, though, that's more of a DC question."

...Are you going to play up the relationship between Superman and Superboy-Prime? Johns: 'That's the central focus point of 'Legion of Three-Worlds.'"

...After Legion of Three Worlds, are we going to see the Pre-Crisis Legion? Johns: "I can't answer that question. I wish I could."

Via Newsarama:
...“I’ve noticed the Superboy name pop up in solicits. Has that been cleared up?” Johns said, “Superboy Prime is a different character, so we can use him. But we can’t really talk about it.”

I also traded a dealer a splash page of original art from Mike Grell's Green Lantern/Green Arrow run for the cover to Karate Kid #5.

Here's what I had:


Here's what I have now (in black and white, of course; in place of the UPC code, which is blank on the original art, are the autographs of Ernie Chan (who had drawn the cover as "Ernie Chua" and Grell):

6 comments:

Greybird said...

From a CBR report on the "Superman: The Man of Tomorrow" panel —

Are you going to play up the relationship between Superman and Superboy-Prime?

Geoff Johns: "That's the central focus point of 'Legion of Three Worlds.'"

[...] After Legion of Three Worlds, are we going to see the Pre-Crisis Legion?

Johns: "I can't answer that question. I wish I could."

Greybird said...

Hope that Mike finally got into the "DC Nation" panel, where CBR has in its live-blog report

"'If you heard news Paul Levitz and I were returning to the Legion, how would you respond?' Giffen asked, and the crowd was shocked into applause. 'Just wondering.'"

Michael A. said...

Hey Mike,

Sorry you didn't get in, it was a great panel. That question about how many Cosmic Boys would we see after L3W? That was asked by me. And Newsarama didn't report it ENTIRELY accurately. There was a bit more.

Michael said...

Newsarama didn't report it ENTIRELY accurately. There was a bit more.

Well, spill! Don't leave us hanging!

Anonymous said...

Great art trade Mike, that's a wonderful KK cover!

Michael A. said...

Okay, since I went up to Geoff today in the DC booth (completely random, didn't even know that he and Peter Tomasi (both great guys) were going to be there) and I apologized for the "leak". He was very cool with it.

What happened yesterday (the whole story) was that there was a good DC Nation panel. With all the questions, there was some clueless question asked by a guy dressed as Batman and the panel razzed him about being "the world's greatest detective", which was funny, but there was only ONE Legion question asked (travesty).
I got in line to ask something, anything about L3W and by the time I got up to the mike we were in "lighting round" (who is not, oddly, a Ranzz family member). After thanking Jann Jones and Keith Giffen for bringing fun back into comics, I turned to Dan DiDio and pointed out that at the NY Con, he said, when asked, that after L3W we would have "one" Legion. So, trying to be coy, I said "Okay, so in this ONE Legion . . . just how many, say, Cosmic Boys might we see?" Dan froze a bit, looked at Geoff, Geoff looked at me a little pissed and Judd Winick said "congratulations world's greatest detective" Then Geoff said "read the book" (the standard "you're on the right track".)

So I think that no matter what your favorite Legion is, I think it'll be okay post L3W.


Oh, and when I told Geoff today that one of my favorite Legionnaires is Brainy, he gave me another minor spoiler about a new character.