Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Trivia 3 answers

Answers to the trivia quiz #3:

1. What was Jamm's power?

I was hoping someone would have the answer, but I had to look it up to make sure (I found it in the Legion help file). "he could mentally command people (and aliens) to do anything he asked them to, and they'd obey."


2. How many times did members of the Legion meet Batman? (Count all instances within an extended storyline as one meeting. Alternate timelines, dreams, hoaxes, or Imaginary Stories don't count.)
By my count: the JLA/JSA/LSH teamup in JLA 147-148; the Batman/LSH teamup in Brave & Bold 179; the Batman/Karate Kid teamup in Brave & Bold 198; various places during Crisis on Infinite Earths; and if I remember correctly, the extended "Team 20"/Final Night story. I think all of the times they met in the Silver Age, it was in an Imaginary Story. That makes 5 (not including the innumerable times Batman has met the pre-Crisis Superman who used to be Superboy, the pre-Crisis Supergirl, Kon-el, and the latest version of Supergirl).


3. When Composite Superman got his powers from the Legion statues, who was the most recently admitted member in the statue lineup?
See the Supermanica wiki's Composite Superman entry and this page from World's Finest 142 (June 1964) for a look at the statues. This issue came out concurrently with Adventure 321. The most recent Legionnaire to have joined by that point (and stayed in the Legion, unlike Dream Girl) was Light Lass, in Adventure 308. Incidentally, Elastic Lad got his statue made too, even though he wasn't a full Legionnaire.


4. Considering the three main Legion timelines (pre-Zero Hour, post-Zero Hour reboot including SW6/Legionnaires, post-Infinite Crisis), which Legionnaires have been members in only one of them? This isn't a trick question, and I'm only looking for those who do not have direct counterparts - for example, Livewire and Lightning Lad don't count, whereas Shikari and Dawnstar both count. (Alternate timelines, dreams, hoaxes, or Imaginary Stories don't count.)
Whew, lots of them, more than I had expected! I had to look this up and confirm it at the Legion Wiki.
  • Pre-Zero Hour: Superboy (Kal-el), Chemical King, Tyroc, Dawnstar, Blok, Invisible Kid (Jacques Foccart), White Witch, Magnetic Kid, Polar Boy, Quislet, Tellus, Nightwind, Impulse (Kent Shakespeare), Atmos, Karate Kid (Myg), Crystal Kid, Echo, Reflecto, Fire Lad, Chlorophyll Kid, Infectious Lass, Porcupine Pete, Visi-Lad, Color Kid, Stone Boy, Storm Boy, Calamity King, Kono, Celeste McCauley, Devlin O'Ryan, Spider-Girl, Veilmist, Firefist, Bloodclaw, Flederweb, Computo, Dragonmage, Catspaw
  • Post-Zero Hour: XS, Kinetix, Gates, Magno, Sensor, Inferno, Monstress, Kid Quantum (Jazmin Cullen), Thunder, Shikari, Gear, Superboy (Kon-el)
  • Post-Infinite Crisis: Dream Boy


  • 5. In the three main continuities, which Legionnaires died and stayed dead? Clones, reanimated corpses, or other duplicates of dead Legionnaires don't count as having come back to life. Disappearances or final appearances prior to a reboot, alternate timelines, dreams, hoaxes, and Imaginary Stories don't count.
  • Pre-Zero Hour: Lightning Lad (Glorithverse version only), Ferro Lad, Invisible Kid (Lyle Norg), Superboy (Pocket Universe), Sun Boy, Karate Kid, Chemical King, Blok, Magnetic Kid, Bloodclaw, Firefist. I'm not counting SW6ers here because they were effectively time-sliced clones (or whatever).
  • Post-Zero Hour: Kid Quantum (James Cullen), Leviathan, Monstress, Element Lad
  • Post-Infinite Crisis: none (jury's still out on Dream Girl)


  • 6. In Pre-Crisis continuity, name the founding members of the Legion of Substitute Heroes.
    Finally, an easy one! I wanted to see who would put Color Kid in, but nobody bit. It was Polar Boy, Night Girl, Chlorophyll Kid, Stone Boy, and Fire Lad, of course.


    7. The ADVENTURE era often showed fanciful animals as members of everything from super-villain gangs to zoos to currency. Which 3 of the following animals did NOT appear (since I made them up for this question)?
    a. Brain-globes of Rambat
    b. Vegan Living Top
    c. Lunar dirt-bugs
    d. Jovian camelephant
    e. Morvennian fear-beast
    f. Walking plants of Zuun
    g. Jewel-bird of Gemovia
    h. Saturnian Scorpion Beast
    i. Venusian tricorn beast
    j. Kryptonite-beast of Graxo
    The ones I made up for this quiz were C, F, and J. All the others appeared somewhere in an Adventure-era story. Good job Michael Rebain!


    8. Which Legionnaires had their own solo book at any time?
  • Pre-Zero Hour: Superboy (Kal-el), Supergirl, Karate Kid, Cosmic Boy, Timber Wolf, Valor
  • Post-Zero Hour: Inferno, Superboy (Kon-el)
  • Post-Infinite Crisis: Supergirl


  • 9. At the point when the Legion disbanded during the Five Year Gap, only two people who had been members prior to the Gap were still members. Which ones?
    Polar Boy and Colossal Boy. See the Legion Wiki's Five Year Gap page for the timeline.


    10. In her original appearance, what happened to Glorith?
    De-aged to a puddle of protoplasm in her one-and-only pre-Mordruverse appearance.


    Thanks for playing! I'll get some easier ones next time.

    4 comments:

    Matthew E said...

    Well, I didn't do too badly on the ones I answered.

    2. Not counting LSH #300? Spoilsport.

    4. I guess we only disagree about whether Sensor is distinct from Princess Projectra or not.

    5. Time out. First, I can't believe I forgot Superboy, but, oh well. And I admit that Lightning Lad is kind of a special case. But Bloodclaw definitely died, and Firefist did too, although he may have come back all the way.

    9. I've got to get me a copy of whatever it is that's the source of all this Five Year Gap information.

    Anonymous said...

    Under No. 5, pre-ZH, from what I understand reading the LSH Help file and the sourcebook while I wrote the v4 entries for the wiki, I believe James Cullen never actually "died" in that continuity. According to the storylines, he faked his death on Mars in the early days of the LSH because he was some sort of carrier/manifestation of the Souls of Antares. He went into hiding to protect the souls from someone, likely Glorith or Mordru. He was rediscovered by Reep Daggle in v4 #33, kidnapped (by Khunds, I think), and rescued by the Legionnaires team that he later joins.

    I don't have access to any of my sources at the moment (including the actual comics), so I don't know how much of that was conjecture on the part of the LSH Help writer. It's sort of a winter project for me to actually reread everything in v4 and write up some more detailed articles in the wiki for the era.

    Matthew, the main source for the Five Year Gap info is the 2995 Sourcebook. Supposedly, one of the wiki contributors has a PDF version, which would be great because the book is long out of print and my copy is starting to fall apart.

    Matthew E said...

    Maybe James Cullen died in the act of returning the souls to the Proteans?

    Somewhere out there is a used copy of the 2995 Sourcebook that I can get my hands on. What the hey; I've already got the DC RPG.

    Michael said...

    Comments to your comments:

    2. No, I'm not counting LSH 300. That's an Easter Egg like Garfield and Spider-Man. There's no logical reason for him to have been there and unlike J'onn J'onzz (in the wedding scene) that was never referenced again.

    4. I debated with myself on Sensor's case. She obviously was supposed to be an analog of Projectra, but the whole snake thing is what swung it for me. If she was human, there would have been no debate.

    5. I forgot about which Khunds died. I remember that at least one did, but I didn't recall which one(s), and frankly, that whole period is a big blur anyway. If you think I should add Bloodclaw and Firefist, I'll put them in.

    Lightning Lad - another dilemma. If you accept that he was Proty's mind inhabiting Garth's body (which I don't accept, but that's just me), then how is it different from post-ZH Element Lad when he got better with Livewire's mind? I'll put LL in there but specify that it was only the Glorithverse version, not the pre-Crisis version, that lets me keep Element Lad dead too.

    And you're right, Steve, I blew it on Kid Quantum, he did fake his death somehow, as I do now recall seeing him later.

    There are a couple of copies of the 2995 Sourcebook on Amazon right now. They show up on eBay from time to time too.