Sunday, October 29, 2006

Issue 23 review roundup

Update 10/30 Added two more at the bottom.
Update 10/31 Added one more.



Here's a roundup of reactions to this week's new Supergirl and the Legion #23, at least those of you who got the issue. As always, in no particular order. I've only found a few reviews so far, maybe because of the delay. Well, I'll add more as I find them (or as others point out to me).
  • Matthew at the Legion Abstract:
    In this title we've had no major story since Sun Boy punched out Lemnos, and only a bunch of subplots bleeding from issue to issue with no obvious end. And, again, all the ingredients were good, but they inevitably added up to less than the sum of their parts. If we're now into a good butt-kicking Mon-El and LSV story, then that's great, but I want to go on record as saying that I don't want to read comics that are only killing time until other comics come along.

    I was pretty pleased by this issue, but it also pointed out to me how frustrating the preceding six-or-seven issues had been. It's possible I've been too generous in my evaluations up to now.

  • Queer Legion (QL) at The Planetary Chance Machine had to buy the Hughes cover because the regular one was delayed:
    Overall: Another solid issue from WnK. The story should please both the "not enough action" crowd and "let's wrap-up the Supergirl arc" folks. I can't wait for the next issue!

  • Harvey Jerkwater at the Filing Cabinet of the Damned is a new reader:
    After decades of avoiding them, I've started reading The Legion of Super-Heroes. A reboot, plus Mark Waid, got my attention. So I bought the first two trade paperback collections.

    Danged if I don't like it. Waid plays into the zeitgeist very well. He is a clever, clever bastard.

  • Jeff Lester, one of the Savage Critic(s):
    I wax and wane in my appreciation of this title. There's so much to like (clever dialogue, lovely art), why does the stuff I don't dig turn me off so much? I'm inclined to think the good stuff makes the bad stuff stick out that much more (a character thinking she's just in a weird dream for, like, months, is the main craw currently stuck in my throat) but I really don't know. Any ideas? OK because it's too accomplished for Eh even though my real feelings about it are indeed Eh.

  • The Original Losing Loser at seebelow LJ community:
    Boy, I keep wanting to like this more than I do, and it lets me down. Waid seems to be getting as bored writing it as I am reading it. On the upside, they finally seem to be getting shed of the tedious Supergirl-memory-loss stuff, but it comes after too much dickig around, and the big cliffhanger (the return of Mon-El! Sort of!) comes after pages of snores. I wanna give it another chance, but the Mon-El stuff better be dynamite. The Verdict: Zzzzz.

    New 10/30

  • Jeffrey Bridges at Superman Homepage:
    I have but two problems with this book right now. One, I think there are just too many concurrent sub-stories that haven't been touched on in forever. Sun Boy. The giant criminals. It just feels like there's a little TOO much and it's reaching a critical mass. I sincerely hope Waid is able to tie all the pieces together well enough to pull it off.

    The other problem isn't as much of a real "problem", but what I loved the most about this book when I read the first few issues was the sense of fun and adventure, excitement and camaraderie between Legion members. For the past several months that lighthearted fun that I so loved has been missing, and it's missing still.

    I'm still enjoying it, but not as much as I once did. Perhaps it's because it's so difficult to follow the plethora of stories running at the same time with dozens of different characters, or perhaps it's just not as light-hearted anymore, I don't know.

  • Graeme McMillan, another of the Savage Critic(s):
    Fill-in creators Tony Bedard and Adam DeKraker disappear after a couple of months, and suddenly the book regains some of the momentum that it’s lost over… hmm… the past couple of months. Coincidence, or something more sinister? ... I’m certainly hopeful that the focused storytelling that’s on show here sticks around, and a refocused-and-hopefully-less-under-the-52-deadline-gun Mark Waid continues to remember that, as nice as subplots are, it’s always nice to have an A plot, as well.

    Update 10/31

  • Rokk Krinn at Rokk's Comic Book Revolution:
    Overall: Supergirl and the Legion of Super Heroes #23 was more of the same boring pointless writing however, the last three pages give me hope. I think that this title may actually be turning the corner. For the first time in a while, I’m actually excited for the next issue of Supergirl and the Legion of Super Heroes. I just hope Waid can deliver.


No comments: